Monday 23 April 2007

Restless - William Boyd

I was surprised by this book - it wasn't what I expected. I very much enjoyed this tale of a woman who suddenly discovers that her mother had a totally different previous life - with a
different name, different identity, different nationality and a whole family that she has kept secret for thirty years - since the end of World War II. The book starts with the daughter finding her Mother becoming increasingly concerned that she is being watched and followed. Fearing that senility is the cause, the daughter is given a series of chapters of her mother's life during the War. The daughter is drawn into this story and finds out plenty about herself as well as her mother.
Alternating chapters of the present and the past maintain a rapid pace and the suspense continues to the end. I was thoroughly gripped and drawn in. This is a true page turner - not your typical spy novel either. My rating: 8/10

No comments: