Friday 6 April 2007

The Excursion Train - Edward Marston


Edward Marston is a profilic exponent of a particular genre - the historical murder mystery. I have to say I much prefer the books in his Doomsday series - where he evokes the life of post conquest England extremely well. This book is the second in a series about a police inspector fascinated by railways - it is set in the middle of the nineteenth century. I'm sure it is historically extremely accurate and well researched, and the railway information is fascinating. However, Marston's not well developed characters and slightly unimaginative plot lines don't make him in the top rank of murder mystery writers. I like more twists and turns and less romance, more surprise and less over accurate historical 'colour' in my crime novels.
My rating: 7/10

No comments: