Tuesday 20 March 2007

Great Expectations - Charles Dickens

I've joined a group from my branch of the University of the Third Age who intend to work their way through all the works of Charles Dickens. The first book was 'Pickwick Papers' and now we've got stuck into Great Expectations. Now I've had an edition on my shelves for close on five decades, and I discovered that it was slightly abridged. I knew the work from various film adaptations (the most famous being the David Lean version - starring John Mills, Bernard Miles and Michael Redgrave). The written is much more gripping - especially the opening scene in the churchyard as Pip encounters Magwitch. I'm very glad I've finally got around to reading this - even if slightly shortened. I've now bought a cheap edition - but complete this time.
Rating: 8/10

No comments: