Friday 14 November 2008

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society - Mary Ann Shaffer

I was really pleased to have this suggested to me - it is a real find and I've given copies to several of my friends. The format reminds me strongly of Helene Hanff's 84
Charing Cross Road - a series of letters and telegrams. Shortly after WWII journalist and writer Juliet receives a letter out of the blue from someone in Guernsey who has picked up one of Juliet's second hand books. This leads her to a whole variety of correspondence with people who lived through the German Occupation of the Channel Islands. Most of them got through the bad times through the Literary Society that begins as a front organisation to fool the German occupiers. Juliet learns so much about these people and soon becomes their friend and supporter and at the same time discovers much about herself and who her true friends are. Rating 8/10.

No comments: