Wednesday 13 August 2008

The Road Home - Rose Tremain


Now Rose Tremain is a good writer - and I've enjoyed her books in the past - and there were many things about this book that I found engaging. It is the tale of Lev, an Eastern European of indeterminate country, who comes to London (like so many others) and discovers that not all his hopes are fulfilled, not all his ambitions realised and it is far from easy to turn up, friendless and alone in a foreign country and expect to succeed immediately. So many cultural differences, so much strangeness - and language is the first hurdle to be surmounted. My enjoyment was somewhat blunted by the constant and relentless use of what can only be termed obscenities. I suppose this is realistic, but it is also distracting and off putting, and this combined with vivid sexual descriptions spoilt my enjoyment of this otherwise uplifting volume. I did find the ease with which Lev overcomes his difficulties a touch far fetched too, and the obsession with food (almost turning some sections into recipes - am I alone in not caring about what I eat or the current addiction to cookery programmes?) was just too much at times. Ms Tremain also seemed to be determined to bring in every possible experience of a recent immigrant - the black economy, the low level badly paid jobs encountered by most new arrivals, the stereotypical conditions in the home country, the isolation. Interesting nevertheless - but I am going to have to take 2 points off for the language! Rating 6/10

No comments: