Saturday 1 December 2007

The Christmas Mystery - Jostein Gaarder

Well an interesting notion - telling the Christmas story in 25 daily chapters, to co-incide with
the Christian festival of Advent. However, I don't think it really works. I can't imagine that it really can be read to a child on a daily basis - the language seems to be aimed at no age range in particular. Of course I have no religious beliefs,so perhaps it does go down well with that audience. I thought it was over sentimental, and holds no real mysteries or surprises. More of a travelogue than a rattling good yarn, and would this reveal anything new about the nativity?
Rating 5/10

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love this book. Have read it to my sons for the last few years through Advent. It has become a tradition and read the first chapter tonight to my youngest!

Steve Middleton said...

I've only just started it (appropriately as today is the 1st December!) I don't think I can wait to read a chapter a day (unlike Joachim) as the chapters are too short.